Speech, Language and Hearing facts
Mount Sinai Medical Center is sharing some important information regarding Speech, Language and Hearing in May for Better Hearing and Speech Month.
One Expert States:
“Difficulty with speech can be the result of problems with nerves that control, larynx, mouth and throat muscles that are necessary for speech,” said Michael Pitman, MD, Associate Professor, Otolaryngology, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, Director of Laryngology, The New York Eye and Ear Infirmary at Mount Sinai. “Abnormalities of the vocal cords such as inflammation, polyps, cysts, and tumors can affect the pitch and quality of the voice. Anyone who communicates with their voice as a significant part of their job, such as teachers, lawyers, call centers, translators, MTA announcers, etc. should be hyper vigilant.”
Speech Therapy Works can help you prevent or eliminate voice disorder. Call Speech Therapy Works for voice therapy [phone].
Fun Facts about Speech and Hearing
- Children who have chronic ear infections are at risk of delayed language.
- Speech is made up of many different frequencies, therefore even if your child can hear you , they may not be picking up everything you are saying, contributing to their language being delayed. If they can’t hear the sound, they won’t be able to imitate the sound.
- Speech Therapy Works provides speech therapy for children. We will assess speech-language development and provide speech therapy for children having delayed language due to hearing difficulties. Call [phone] for more information.
Some interesting speech and language facts from the article that you may not know:
- 46 million Americans are affected by communication disorders, 14 million of those have a speech or language disorder and 28 million face a hearing loss
- Speech language pathologists work with many types of patients including those who have cochlear implantation surgery, suffer from a voice disorder or during rehabilitation following treatment for head and neck cancer.
- Call Speech Therapy Works for additional information regarding speech therapy for children or adults
Find out more at http://www.newswise.com/articles/identifying-speech-and-hearing-problems-early-may-prevent-future-losses